Saturday, March 16, 2013

Celebrating Women's History Month- Let's Do Lunch Auntie Kate!

Day 16 Celebrating Women's History Month Blog Prompt-
 If you could have lunch with any female family member (living or dead) or any famous female who would it be and why? Where would you go? What would you eat?


  All my life I have heard my Father praise the cooking of his Auntie Kate. I remember visiting her as a child and remember the wonderful southern cooking. One thing that stands out in my mind is her Creamed Corn. Absolutely delicious!
  If I could have lunch with a female family member I would choose Auntie Kate. We would go to the old Baker family home in Sumter County,SC, sit in the kitchen, eat from her wonderful cooking, and talk about her memories of her parents and grandparents, and other family members. 

Kate Baker Ryan (1898-1987)
"Auntie Kate"
Early 1970's
© Cheri Hudson Passey




  It was from Auntie Kate that I received my first information on my Baker family tree. She had worked hard to put together a family history. With out the tools we have today, she was able to track down her Grandfather Alpheus J. Baker's (1824-1917) Civil War record, and put together several generations of family groups which she typed and placed in  books to share with the family in the early 1970's.
 I would like to thank her for all her hard work, not only on the Baker Genealogy Book, but also for taking the time to cut out and save many obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements and other articles printed in the newspaper about family and friends.



Baker Home
Sumter County,SC
© Cheri Hudson Passey
                   
 I can almost smell the wonderful aromas of her kitchen and feel the warmth of her love for her family. If I could only turn back time.......let's do lunch Auntie Kate!

© 2013 Cheri Hudson Passey


2 comments:

  1. So Auntie Kate was the "family historian." It seems as if many families have one, and now that honor has passed on to you. (It has passed from my uncle and second cousin to me, I guess.) You and Auntie Kate would have much to talk about, probably much more than one lunchtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much more than one lunchtime! If only I could!

      Delete