Sunday, March 17, 2013

Celebrating Women's History Month-Bridge Club


The Blog Prompt for Day 17 :
Social Butterfly? What social organizations or groups did your mother or grandmother belong to? Sewing circle, church group, fraternal benefit society or lodge? Describe her role in the group.


 From the time I was little I remember hearing about my Grandmother Azile Daughrity Roberts Sullivan (1921-2009) playing bridge. She was in a Bridge Club with friends in Camden,SC for many years.
 I will confess to thinking when I was small that she was doing something with "bridges" until I figured out that it had something to do with cards!


 After Grandmom had to placed in a nursing home in 2005, this book was found while cleaning out her house. It is a Day Planner with a record of her bridge club during 1967.
 As well as the date they were to meet, it tells who drove, where they were going to meet, and who was in charge of food. They would all rotate these responsibilities.


1967 Day Planner
Azile Daughrity Roberts Sullivan
Bridge Club
© Cheri Hudson Passey

               I am not sure why she kept this for over 40 years, but I am sure glad she did. 




Azile Daughrtiy Roberts Sullivan
Bridge Club 1967
© Cheri Hudson Passey
                   Grandmom in the dark shirt holding her cards, me sitting on a friend's lap, during bridge club in my Grandparents Den.


For more information about the Celebrating Women's History Month Blog Prompts go to 


© 2013 Cheri Hudson Passey

6 comments:

  1. Very nice find, Cheri! I love finding things like this - brings me closer to how/what life was like.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! It is so fun to read who was in charge of what, who drove etc. Glad I found it too!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it so much fun to look at the little things that made up their lives? It really feels as if you have a part of them with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember bridge clubs! Even my parents (not social butterflies) were in some for a while! So when I went to college, I learned bridge, though I was mediocre. Now bridge clubs are getting out of fashion, it seems, especially in the NE, where I have landed. I like the picture of you -- we kids weren't allowed in the bridge room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I remember her talking about it, but I don't remember that I was actually there when she was playing. I guess I was though because of the picture!
      Thanks for reading Mariann!

      Delete